"Many ideas grow better when transplanted into another mind than the one where they sprang up." – Oliver Wendell Holmes
Recently, I had an opportunity to share my thoughts on crafting better developer experience (DX) and improving developer platform adoption with some of the best tech leaders in Chennai. Meeting techies from Freshworks (DevHours), Thoughtworks (ChennaiGeeks), GuviGeeks and sharing knowledge was so much fun! It was an enthusiastic bunch to be honest. In fact, we (20 of us, in one session) even made a Twitter social wall and a Rajinikanth bot. Glitch was very handy during the talks and it powered collaboration to a great extent during the demos.
From the developer perspective, we discussed the following:
- We saw how we can collaborate and build apps from scratch in record time (Rajinikanth bot using Freshchat) using Glitch
- How SDKs can be a great differentiator in the developer-platform race
- How platform starters and sample apps can boost developer productivity
From the platform/company perspective, we brushed on the following topics:
- Faster time-to-value. Nobody likes waiting including developers - Can developers go from 0 to 60 real quick?
- Lots of examples and case studies - Especially for new developers or partners who are getting onboard
- Proper documentation - Good documentation is important. Making it API-first is appreciated
- Libraries and SDKs - DevTools empower the developers. They will differentiate the platform from the rest
Overall, it was an amazing experience for me and made a lot of friends along the way ♥️